What We Do
Once you are part of the Hospice of North Ottawa Community family, you can expect regular visits from our caring team of Hospice professionals who work with the doctor or doctors you already have. You can stay right at home, surrounded by the people and things you love. Our nurses, health aids, social workers, chaplain and volunteers will come right to you. Or, if staying at home isn’t possible or desired, our In-patient Hospice Residence at Heartwood Lodge is here for you.
The same excellent service we provide in the home or at our In-patient Hospice Residence at Heartwood Lodge is also available for residents of local nursing homes. If you or someone you love is in a nursing home and you are wondering if they’re appropriate for Hospice care, call us directly at (616) 846-2015.
In addition, Hospice of North Ottawa Community cares for patients who are in the hospital. If your loved one is hospitalized and you’re wondering what to do next, call us and we’d be happy to explain the services we can provide.
The Hospice of North Ottawa Community Team
Hospice of North Ottawa Community works with you and your loved ones to ensure that your needs are met and that all end of life care areas have been addressed.
- Our Medical Director joins your regular doctor to provide pain and symptom-free care.
- Registered Nurses are specifically trained in symptom management and pain control. Registered Nurses are available twenty-four hours a day/seven days a week.
- Social Workers assist you and your family with end of life tasks, counseling, financial issues and coordination of community resources. Social Workers also can assist with forms such as “Do Not Resuscitate” and “Durable Medical Power of Attorney”.
- A Spiritual Coordinator provides non-denominational support and counseling according to the wishes of you and your family.
- Home Health Aides are available to provide personal care such as bathing and assistance with the activities of daily living.
- Hospice of North Ottawa Community also has a large team of volunteers who participate in specialized training to offer support, light housekeeping, errand running, transportation, and companionship.
- Professionally trained Bereavement Counselors offer supportive care and counseling to loved ones after loss. Bereavement support is open to anyone in the community at no cost.
- Also provided are Occupational, Physical, and Speech Therapists; Nutritional Counseling; Management of supplies, medications, and medical equipment.
Call (616) 846-2015 for more information.