In 1919 William Hatton, President of Eagle Ottawa Leather Company, recognized the need for a hospital in Grand Haven. The Elizabeth Hatton Memorial Hospital was dedicated in June of 1919. This was a gift to the city from Mr. Hatton in memory of his wife. The hospital was the former William Loutit residence in the 100 block of South Fifth Street.
|NOCH Delivery Room, 1954
The Elizabeth Hatton Memorial Hospital served the community until the opening of the Grand Haven Municipal Hospital on Sheldon Road in July 1939. At that time, quoted The Grand Haven Tribune (July 27, 1939), architects specified, "everything to be the very best and the most modern equipment throughout the structure."
In 1967, the residents of North Ottawa County approved the building of a new hospital to be added to the existing structure on Sheldon. The hospital would be called North Ottawa Community Hospital (NOCH). Each of the governing authority districts elected a representative to serve on the Board of Trustees. These representatives selected seven at-large members to make up the new North Ottawa Community Hospital Authority (NOCHA) which was formed to manage the hospital.
In June of 1996, the residents of North Ottawa County voted and approved to lease the hospital to the newly formed non-profit corporation that would manage the Hospital, effective July 1997. The board of this corporation continued to have representatives elected from the six authority districts. These six representatives continued to be charged with the responsibility of selecting at-large members. There were only five at-large members selected to make up the Board of this new corporation. The new governing body structure allowed NOCH to move forward in the health care arena and continue to meet its commitment to the citizens of the community.
In 2000, North Ottawa Community Hospital and its affiliate organizations decided to "systematize" the local health care delivery system to make it more efficient and to better reflect the full scope of patient care services available - thus officially becoming North Ottawa Community Health System. North Ottawa Community Health System consists of:
|NOCH Pharmacy, 1954
In December 2003, NOCHS entered into its second joint venture with Hackley Health System to deliver comprehensive occupational medicine services to area employers. The venture was the result of NOCHS' decision to sell the property for development and transition occupational medicine and urgent care patients to separate facilities. The new occupational venture named Workplace Health of Grand Haven, is located at 923 S. Beechtree.
In 2004, NOCHS opened its Urgent Care Center in the South Shore Shopping Plaza at 1091 S. Beacon Boulevard. Unlike an emergency room, the Urgent Care Center is specifically staffed and equipped to provide fast, expert medical treatment for minor illnesses and injuries. Urgent Care is recommended for patients with non-life threatening illnesses and injuries such as sore throats, earaches, fevers, minor lacerations and bleeding, or muscle strains and sprains. Walk-in sports and camp physicals are also available.
In 2009, North Ottawa Community Health System announced a new partnership for physical therapy services with Generation Care. Some of the services available through the Physical Therapy umbrella are regaining the ability to perform activities of daily living, posture and body mechanics, range of motion, strengthening, electrical stimulation, heat/cold pack treatment, traction, and ultrasound therapy.
In 2010, NOCHS extended its ancilliary services to better meet the needs in the Spring Lake community with the opening of a lab draw site, x-ray and physical therapy services in Mill Point Health Center (601 Savidge). Also, in 2010 another lab draw site opened at Stanton Crossings (15151 Stanton Street) in West Olive. There are several Laboratory Draw Sites throughout the community. Anyone is welcome to use these patient service centers, and results are sent directly to the ordering physician.
North Ottawa Community Health System most recently opened a new skilled nursing, rehabilitative, and hospice care facility in Spring Lake called Heartwood Lodge. Nestled on 13 acres of rolling, wooded dunes, this campus consists of an 84-bed skilled nursing care facility, an 8-bed Hospice House and community Hospice and In-Home Care Nursing, along with rehabilitative therapy services in an atmosphere of a scenic lodge. One hundred percent of this facility is Medicare and Medicaid licensed and certified.
Several changes have occurred since our beginning in 1919, but NOCHS' tradition of excellence has been maintained. The staff, physicians and volunteers of North Ottawa Community Health System are a testament to our commitment to deliver the best in accessible and high quality health care to our community.