daVinci® Surgical Services
| © 2011 Intuitive Surgical, Inc.
Robotic-assisted surgery takes NOCHS’ surgical capability to a whole new level. Using the da Vinci® surgical system, NOCHS can provide even more options for our patients who don’t want to leave our community in order to find state-of-the-art, minimally invasive, surgical excellence.
Robotic surgery at NOCHS:
· Gynecological (hysterectomies, myomectomies, pelvic reconstruction, endometrial repair)
· Urology (prostate cancer treatment)
· General Surgery (gall bladder removal)
The da Vinci surgical system is a sophisticated robotic platform designed to enable complex surgery using a minimally invasive approach. The system consists of an ergonomic surgeon’s console and a patient-side cart with four interactive robotic arms. It is designed to scale, filter and seamlessly translate the surgeon’s hand movements into more precise movements.
Key features of the da Vinci surgical system include:
• 3D stereo viewer designed to provide surgeons with an immersive experience – magnifying images in brilliant color and with natural depth of field
• It operates through a few, small incisions through which the robotic arms (controlled by the surgeon at the master console) maneuver instruments and an endoscopic camera
• It has a fail-safe design that incorporates multiple, redundant safety features that minimize the risk for human error when compared with traditional approaches
• It is a significant improvement over conventional laparoscopy where the instruments cannot bend or rotate and, the surgeon must view 2D images off to the side, away from the instrumentation
Key benefits of da Vinci robotic surgery for patients include:
• Less pain
• Less blood loss
• Fewer complications
• Shorter hospital stay
• Less risk of infection
• Fast recovery